NSF Scholarship for Service (SFS)
The Computer Science and Information Systems & Cyber Security Departments at The University of Texas at San Antonio have were awarded a National Science Foundation Scholarship for Service grant to educate graduate and undergraduate students in the areas of computer and cyber security
The Scholarship for Service (SFS) program is funded by NSF and provides support for individuals pursuing a computer or cyber security program. It requires the recipient to work for the federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government for one year for every year of funding received
Application Deadline 1 August 2016
- Must be enrolled on a full-time basis as an undergraduate or graduate student and be actively pursuing a major degree, minor degree, or concentration in computer or cyber security at UTSA
- Must be within two years of completion of your program.
- Must have two letters of recommendation from faculty members at UTSA or another institution.
- Must be eligible for a U.S. Top Secret clearance.
- Must have a minimum of a 2.8 GPA (undergraduate) or 3.2 GPA (graduate).
- Must be able to meet the established criteria for U.S. federal employment.
- These are 1-year scholarships with the possibility of renewal for a 2nd year.
- The SFS program will support up to the equivalent of 4 full semesters during the last years of a student's degree program.
- An annual academic stipend will be provided of $22,500 (undergraduate) or $34,000 (graduate).
- Annual support for books, health insurance, and travel to a conference for professional development are also included(for both undergraduates and graduates).
- Annual tuition support will be provided of up to $9,361 (undergraduate) or $7,476 (graduate).
- One year of employment with a Federal (such as the FBI, CIA, NSA, DoD, DOE, or DOJ), state, city, tribal, or territorial government agency for every year of support in the program. The student will be responsible to apply for and obtain a position to fulfill this service obligation. (The SFS program and the Computer Science Department will provide help in identifying employment opportunities.)
Please note that participation in the SFS program is limited to 2 years.
How to apply
Fill out the Application and submit it to the address below by the application deadline.
Letters of recommendation should also be sent to the address below.
All application materials must be received by the Scholarship Committee in the Department of Computer Science by 1 August 2016.
Applicants will be reviewed by the Award Committee. Successful applicants will be notified by email and mail.
For more information or to apply for this scholarship please contact:
Attn: Scholarships for Service
Department of Computer Science
The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
210-458-4436, 210-458-4437 (fax)