NSF Scholarship for Service (SFS)
The University of Texas at San Antonio Computer Science Department has been awarded a new four-year Federal Cyber Service grant from the National Science Foundation to educate graduate and undergraduate students in the area of computer security and information assurance.
The Scholarship for Service (SFS) program is funded by NSF and provides up to two years of tuition and support for individuals pursuing a computer security or information assurance program. It requires the recipient to work for the federal government for one year for every year of funding received.
Application Deadline 31 March 2015
- Must be enrolled on a full-time basis as an undergraduate or graduate student and be actively pursuing a degree or concentration in computer security or information assurance at UTSA
- Must be within two years of completion of your program.
- Must have two letters of recommendation from faculty members at UTSA or another institution.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must have a minimum of a 2.8 GPA (undergraduate) or 3.2 GPA (graduate).
- Must be eligible for a U.S. security clearance.
- Must be able to meet the established criteria for U.S. federal employment.
- The SFS program will support up to the equivalent of 4 full semesters during the last years of a student's degree program.
- An annual academic stipend will be provided of $8,000 (undergraduate) or $12,000 (graduate).
- Annual tuition support will be provided of up to $9,000 (undergraduate) or $7,000 (graduate).
- Annual support for room and board is also included of $9000 (both undergraduate and graduate).
- One year of employment with a Federal Agency (such as the FBI, CIA, NSA, DoD, DOE, or DOJ) for every year of support in the program. The student will be responsible to apply for and obtain a position to fulfill this service obligation. (The SFS program and the Computer Science Department will provide help in identifying employment opportunities.)
Please note that participation in the SFS program is limited to 2 years.
How to apply
Fill out the Application and submit it to the address below by the application deadline.
Letters of recommendation should also be sent to the address below.
All application materials must be received by the Scholarship Committee in the Department of Computer Science by 31 March 2015.
Applicants will be reviewed by the Award Committee. Successful applicants will be notified by email and mail.
For more information or to apply for this scholarship please contact:
Attn: Scholarships for Service
Department of Computer Science
The University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
210-458-4436, 210-458-4437 (fax)