Palden Lama - Home Page
Department of Computer Science
University of Texas at San Antonio
One UTSA Circle
San Antonio, TX 78249
Phone: (210) 458-6088
Palden Lama is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Texas at San Antonio.
He received the BTech degree in electronics and communication engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, in 2003. He has four years of professional experience in the software industry.
He received his PhD degree in Computer Science from the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs in 2013. He has also worked as a research aide at the Argonne National Laboratory during his Ph.D study.
Dr. Lama's research interests include the areas of Cloud computing, sustainable computing, autonomic resource and power management, and big data processing in the Cloud.
- June 2019, CNS Core grant ($243,940) proposal is funded by NSF. Thanks to NSF !
- March 2019, Two Papers got accepted in IEEE IC2E'19. Congratulations to Joy and Ridwan !
- December 2017, Paper got accepted in IEEE IPDPS'18. (acceptance rate 8% in first round review)
- June 2017, Best paper award in IEEE CLOUD'17. Congratulations to Ridwan !
- June 2017, Paper got accepted in IEEE MASCOTS'17. Best paper nominee. Congratulations to Joy !
- Undergraduate Research Program Fall'16
The ever-evolving and growing Internet services have set forth many challenges to computer scientists who are constantly looking for effective ways of making it more scalable, secure, reliable and faster. At the same time, there is a need to make these systems self-adaptive and autonomic to reduce human efforts. This is a field of active research which demands state-of-the-art techniques that transcend the boundary of various disciplines of computer science as well as Computer engineering.
Dr. Lama's research interests lie broadly at the synergistic intersection of Autonomic, Sustainable and Cloud Computing. He focuses on developing systems, and middleware approaches to autonomic resource provisioning for performance and power control in Cloud environments that can benefit a broad range of applications from Big Data to interactive web services.
- Cloud Computing and Data Centers
- Autonomic Resource and Power Management
- Big Data Storage, and Processing in the Cloud
Teaching at the University of Texas at San Antonio, Department of Computer Science
CS 4593/5463, Cloud and Big Data: Spring'17
CS 6463.003, Cloud and Big Data: Fall'14
CS 5523, Operating Systems: Spring'14, Spring'16, Spring'18, Spring'19, Fall'19
CS 3423.002, Systems Programming: Fall'13, Fall'15, Spring'15, Fall'17
CS 6463.003, Cloud and Big Data: Fall'14
CS 4593, AT: Pathogenic OutBreak Investigation: Spring'15
- CS 5573, Cloud Computing: Fall'19
Previous Teaching at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Department of Computer Science
- CS 4500/5500, Operating Systems: Fall'11
- Research Assistant at Distributed, Internet and Cloud Systems Lab, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (January 2008 -- May 2013)
- Research Aide at Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory (June 2012 -- November 2012)
- Research Assistant at Vision and Security Technology (VAST) Lab, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (July 2007 -- January 2008)
- Software Engineer at Qwest Software Services, Bangalore (December 2005 -- June 2007)
- Software Engineer at vMoksha Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Bangalore. (June 2003 -- November 2005)
- ACM Computer Surveys
- ACM Transactions on Autonomous and Adaptive Systems (TAAS)
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS)
- IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing
- IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management
- Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience
- Elsevier Genomics Data
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM) 2014
- IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), 2014
- IEEE/IFIP Intl Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN) 2013
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM) 2012
- IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), 2013
Program Committee Member:
- IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS) 2017
- IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid), 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing (CLOUD) 2017
- IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communication (HPCC) 2017
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN) 2017
- IEEE SmartCity 2017
- IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, Data and Analytics (HiPC) 2016
- IEEE International Workshop on BigData and Cloud Performance (DCPerf) 2016
- Best Paper Nomination. IEEE MASCOTS 2017.
- Best Paper Award. IEEE CLOUD 2017.
- NSF Travel Grant Support for IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2015 Conference
- Student Travel Grant, ACM International Conference on Autonomic Computing, ICAC 2012
- Student Travel Grant, IEEE International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, DSN 2012
- Outstanding PhD Student of the Year, Department of Computer Science, UCCS, 2010
- UCCS Graduate Fellowship Award, 2008-2010