- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, Washington University in St Louis (2007)
- M.S. in Computer Science, California State University (2002)
- B.S. in Biology, University of Science and Technology of China (1998)
- 2007 - present: Assistant Professor, Dept of Computer Science, The University of Texas at San Antonio.
- 2010 - present: Associated Faculty of the UTSA/UTHSCSA Joint Graduate Program in Biomedical Engineering
- 2002 - 2007: Graduate Research Associate, Dept of Computer Science, Washington University in St Louis .
- May 2005 - August 2005: Research Scientist Internship, Systems Biology group, Monsanto Company, St Louis , MO
- Best Performer, Third Annual DREAM Reverse Engineering Challenges, 2008
- UTSA Faculty Research Award, 2007
- Travel awards, AAAI'06, RECOMB Systems Biology 06, RECOMB Systems Biology 05, RECOMB 05, International Georgia Tech Bioinformatics conference 2003
- First Prize, National Chemistry Olympics, Chinese Society of Chemistry , 1993
- Conference organizer
- Special/Poster Session Chair, IEEE International Workshop on Genomic Signal Processing and Statistics (GENSIPS), 2011
- Program Co-chair, Workshop on Graph Techniques for Biomedical Networks, in conjunction with IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM) 2009
- Conference program committee
- Ninth International Meeting on Computational Intelligence Methods for Bioinformatics and Biostatistics (CIBB), 2012
- IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), 2010, 2011
- International Conference on Bioinformatics Models, Methods and Algorithms (Bioinformatics), 2011,2012
- ACM International Workshop on Data Mining in Bioinformatics (BioKDD), 2010, 2011
- IEEE ICDM workshop on Biological Data Mining and its Applications in Healthcare, 2010, 2011
- International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing (BIOSIGNALS), 2010,2011,2012
- Conference of the Austrian Computer Society Workgroup: Human-Computer Interaction ( USAB) 2011 : Information Quality in e-Health
- Workshop on Human-Computer Interaction and Knowledge Discovery in Databases (HCI-KDD) @ USAB 2011
- International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, 2008,2009
- IEEE International Workshop on Data Mining in Functional Genomics, 2008,2009
- Mexican International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (MICAI), 2009, 2010, 2011
- International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, 2009
Journal Editorial board
- Journal reviewer
- Nucleic Acids Research
- PLoS Computational Biology
- PLoS ONE
- BMC Bioinformatics
- BMC Genomics
- BMC Systems Biology
- FEBS Letters
- Journal of Discrete Algorithms
- Annals of Applied Statistics
- EURASIP Journal on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
- EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing
- IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in BioMedicine
- International Journal of Knowledge Discovery in Bioinformatics
- International Journal of Data Mining and Bioinformatics
- International Journal of Computational Bioscience
- International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making
- Springer Publishing Company
- Mar 19, 2012, NCI Mathematics of Integrative Cancer Biology Program Meeting, Tampa, FL, "Network-based classification of recurrent endometrial cancers using DNA methylation data".
- Sept 14, 2011, Barshop Institute for Longevity and Aging Studies, UTHSCSA, "Network-based Analysis of Functional Genomics Data ".
- Sept 7, 2011, Biomedical Engineering Joint Graduate Program, UTSA/UTHSCSA, "Computational Analysis of Biological Networks and Its Applications in Biomedicine".
- Oct 26, 2010, Tianjin University, China, "Current Challenges and Opportunities in Bioinformatics".
- Oct 25, 2010, Nankai University, China, "Community Discovery in Biological Networks and Applications in Systems Biology".
- Oct 24, 2010, 2nd International Conference on Computational and Systems Biology (ICCSB), Hangzhou, China, "Network-based Analysis of Microarray data"
- Oct 21, 2010 , IEEE Computer Society San Antonio Chapter, "Computational Analysis of Biological Networks".
- Oct 29, 2009, the 2009 RECOMB Systems Biology / Regulatory Genomics / DREAM3 Conference, Cambridge, MA, "A Best-performance Algorithm in the DREAM3 Gene-Expression Prediction Challenge".
- April, 2007, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, "Community Discovery and Analysis in Biological Networks".
- April 3, 2007, Department of Computer Science, George Mason University, "Community Discovery and Analysis in Biological Networks".
- Nov 28, 2006, City of Hope, Duarte, CA, " Data Mining Methods for Analyzing Microarray Data and Gene Networks".